If you're looking for a healthier burger to serve at your next barbecue or potluck, this update on a classic fits the bill. Lean turkey meat is jazzed up with herbs, lime and smoky chipotle chilies, then served on toasted English muffins. The recipe is simple to multiply, so you'll be well prepared for a crowd.
- Serves 4
- 1-1/4 lb (615 g) (20 oz. [590 mL] package) lean ground turkey meat
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh chives (or 2 tbsp [30 mL] dried chives)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) lime zest
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lime juice
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) garlic powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 2 canned chipotle chili peppers in adobo sauce, plus 1 tsp (5 mL) of the sauce (or 2 tsp [10 mL] dried chipotle chili powder)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) light mayonnaise
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced into 12 pieces
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced into 12 pieces
- 4 English muffins, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 375 °F (190 °C). In a large bowl, combine the turkey meat with the chives, lime zest, lime juice, garlic powder and salt. Shape the mixture into 4 patties about 1 inch thick. The patties can be frozen in Ziploc® brand Double Guard Bags for up to 3 weeks. Place the patties on a sheet pan lined with aluminum foil misted with cooking spray. Bake the patties for 20 minutes, until firm and cooked through.
- While the patties are cooking, drain and finely chop the chili peppers. Mix the chopped peppers with the reserved adobo sauce and mayonnaise.
- Split open and toast the muffins.
- Place the cooked burgers on the muffin bottoms. Top each burger with 3 avocado slices, 3 onion slices and 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the chipotle mayonnaise from Step 2. Cover with the top of the muffins and serve with pickles.
To double or triple the recipe, just multiply all ingredients except for the chives. Use 1/3 cup (90 mL) of chives for a double recipe and 1/2 cup (125 mL) for a triple recipe.
These burgers can also be cooked on an outdoor grill. Cook for 7 to 10 minutes until patties are browned and firm to the touch.