Here Chef James Brockman gives a simpler way to get the same great taste without the danger! Start with a prepared baked pie crust, and you're more than halfway there. The sliced ripe bananas add texture and a finishing sweet touch.
Total Time: 6 hours
Prep Time: 2 hours
- One prepared pie crust
- 4 bananas, ripe
- One 240 mL (8 oz can) sweetened condensed milk
- 250 mL (1 cup) whipping cream
- 30 mL (1/8 cup) powdered sugar
- 5 mL (1 tsp) vanilla
- Fill the pan of your double boiler with water, place over high heat, and bring to a boil.
- In the bowl of your double boiler pour in the sweetened condensed milk. Reduce the heat to simmer, then cook for 1.5 hours, stirring from time to time. (Remember to add more water to the bottom pan, when necessary, to keep the pan from burning.)
- Bake pie crust according to manufacturer's instructions. Set aside.
- When the caramel is thick and dark, remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Slice the bananas and place them into pie crust. Spread the caramel evenly over the bananas. Chill until cold (at least 4 hours).
- Whip the cream with the sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form.
- Spread the whipped cream over the bananas and serve.