Here's a new twist on chicken, not to mention a yummy way to get that apple-a-day into your diet.
Chef James Brockman chose chicken breasts for their low-fat content, but this dish is also delicious with legs and thighs. A touch of curry lends a slight Indian flair, but if you like food even spicier, feel free in Step 5 to add other spices. If you don't like curry, you can leave it out and add a pinch of other spices (alone or in combinations), such as cumin, oregano, coriander, black pepper or ginger.
* Total Time: 40 minutes
* Prep Time: 15 minutes
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) butter
- Six 250 g (8 oz) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper, to taste (to season chicken)
- 250 mL (1 cup) celery, sliced thin (6 mm (1/4 inch))
- 250 mL (1 cup) red onion, sliced thin (6 mm (1/4 inch))
- 250 mL (1 cup) carrot, sliced thin (6 mm (1/4 inch))
- 3 apples, peeled and sliced into eight slices
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) curry
- 5 mL (1 tsp) cinnamon
- 10 mL (2 tsp) dried thyme
- 1.25 mL (1/4 tsp) salt (to season vegetables)
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) chicken broth
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) apple juice
- One 250 g (8 oz) package sliced mushrooms
- Pinch of cumin, oregano, coriander, black pepper and/or ginger
- Preheat oven to 177°C (350 °F).
- Melt butter in skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken breasts in the skillet and sear on both sides until lightly browned (approximately 2-3 minutes). Remove the chicken from the skillet and let the chicken rest on a plate while you prepare the vegetables and apples in the skillet.
- Add the celery, onions, carrot and apples to the skillet and cook over medium heat until the onions start to get tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the curry, cinnamon, thyme and 1.25 mL (1/4 tsp) of salt, and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the chicken broth and the apple juice and stir to combine.
- Place the chicken breasts on top of the apple mixture in the skillet or casserole, cover with lid and place in the preheated oven.
- Bake the chicken for 20-25 minutes or until done.
- Serve the chicken with the apples and vegetables and pour the liquid from the pan on top of the chicken breasts.